THE HOLY EUCHARIST: THE BREAD OF LIFE AND THE CHALICE OF SALVATION

New Blog article of Eliseo Soriano with my RESPONSE!

RESPONSE to Soriano on the Eucharist POINT by point.

Soriano yet again ATTACKS the Eucharist and the Catholic Church. He places HIMSELF and his cult as the fulfilment of Malachi 1:11.

Soriano said:

To be ignorant may be pardonable because it is not being hopeless, but to delude oneself is something else.

After claiming that the wine in the chalice of the Catholic priest is the real blood of the Lord Jesus by the process of transubstantiation, here comes Catholic apologetics saying that their mass is an unbloody manner of sacrificing Jesus Christ – something they do-again and again.

My RESPONSE:

Yes, ignorance can be pardonable but continued ignorance because OF YOUR OWN REFUSAL to know the TRUTH has the same consequences.

The Holy SACRIFICE of the mass is instituted by Christ. He said, “Do this in memory of me”. How often?

Acts 2:46 NRSV
[46] Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts,”

The SACRIFICE of Christ on Calvary is ONCED and FOR ALL yet we offer THE SAME SACRIFICE and that is the same BODY and BLOOD of Christ.

Christ said:

Luke 22:19 NRSV
[19] Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. DO THIS in remembrance of me.”

“THIS IS MY BODY”

Luke 22:20 NRSV
[20] And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.”

“MY BLOOD”

CHRIST’s very OWN WORDS is trustworthy and EVERYONE MUST BELIEVE. Soriano’s WORDS wants us to believe the exact opposite!

Soriano said:

First of all, history records that Catholics had arguments as to what transubstantiation would mean in their ritual of the Eucharist, when wine becomes blood and the bread, the body of Christ, although the appearance of the substance of wine and bread are still the same. Do the wine really become the blood of Christ, and the bread his body? In the first, the change is in the meaning as thought so in the mid-twentieth century; in the second, it is literal. In 1965, Pope Paul VI said with finality: it is the literal body and blood of Christ. “

My RESPONSE:

Here is the earliest extra biblical testimony of the early Christians. What John Paul VI in 1965 did was an affirmation of the same belief that the BREAD will truly TURN into FLESH of Christ. There is no change of doctrine, rather it is more precisely defined.

Justin Martyr said in his letter written in the year AD 153/155:

“And this food is called among us Eucharistia [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined.
For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh.” – (First Apology, 66)”

We can provide proofs that this is the SAME belief of the Christianity from EACH generation to generations UNTIL TODAY.

Soriano said:

And now, the Catholic Church finds comfort that transubstantiation has plunged back to emphasizing that wine is still wine in appearance, bread is still bread in appearance, but they are equally still the body and blood of Christ. It now has a different name: Real Presence (Source: Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: transubstantiation).

My REPLY:

As I stated above, at NO POINT the Church held a belief contrary to what was held from the beginning. The REAL PRESENCE is not something new but an expression of the deeper understanding of our faith. If Transubstantiation is true then Jesus is present in the Eucharist body, soul and divinity.

Soriano said:

Still and all, even to the uninformed, that is ambiguity in the highest degree and thriving in delusion, just so to continue in a practice not commanded in the Bible.

Here is the defense:

“There can be no question of a grievous offense against Christ Himself unless we suppose that the true Body and the true Blood of Christ are really present in the Eucharist.” “

(Source: Online Catholic Encyclopedia. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm).”

MY RESPONSE:

Soriano ONLY quoted a snippet statement and hardly a “defence” of our doctrine of the EUCHARIST. He should be at least PRESENTED our best argument and deal with it. In short, he is not honest and is afraid to face the TRUTH.

Soriano’s ATTACK:

If what is in the chalice is the real blood of Jesus, how can the mass be an unbloody sacrifice? If what is in the cup is only symbolic blood, doesn’t it follow that it is also symbolically bloody?

My RESPONSE:

Soriano cannot understand the meaning of the word “BLOODY”. He seems to think that the mere presence of blood then it qualifies the term “bloody”. The term implies the actual splashing of blood or when a person is heavily wounded and blood is everywhere, like what happened on Calvary. Blood transfusion although it involves blood, it is NOT A BLOODY PROCEDURE when it’s done properly.

SORIANO mentioned my criticism against his deluded claim for HIMSELF concerning the prophecy in Malachi 1:11. He CLEARLY CLAIMING that is about him or to borrow,” applicable” to him.

SORIANO said:

“Someone criticizing me said that the prophecy in Malachi 1:11 is not applicable to me, after which she claims that it rightfully fits the Catholic Church, for they are the only group that has the incense mentioned in the prophecy. Let us read,

MALACHI 1:11
For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.”

My RESPONSE:

Yes, the prophecy IS NOT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR CULT Mr. Soriano. The prophecy is about the Catholic Church and the PURE OFFERING WHICH IS THE BODY AND BLOOD of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The description of extent is the very definition of “Catholic”.

Notice this phrases:

“From the rising of the sun even unto the going down”

“IN EVERY PLACE”

When did the calling of the GENTILES started? From the VERY TIME OF THE APOSTLES! The missing of the Church is TO ALL NATIONS and would only expires UNTIL THE END OF TIME (Matthew 28:19-20)

The calling of the GENTILES.

Here is what the Bible said:

Acts 15:14-17 NRSV
[14] Simeon has related how God first looked favorably on the Gentiles, to take from among them a people for his name. [15] This agrees with the words of the prophets, as it is written, [16] ‘After this I will return, and I will rebuild the dwelling of David, which has fallen; from its ruins I will rebuild it, and I will set it up, [17] so that all other peoples may seek the Lord- even all the GENTILES over whom my name has been CALLED. Thus says the Lord, who has been making these things”

When will the calling of the GENTILES end?

Romans 11:25 NRSV
[25] So that you may not claim to be wiser than you are, brothers and sisters, I want you to understand this mystery: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, UNTIL THE FULL NUMBERS of the GENTILES has come in.”

“UNTIL THE FULL NUMBERS OF THE GENTILES HAS COME IN”

Has the Israelites reconciled to God YET? In my view this has not been fulfilled yet, therefore the inclusion of the GENTILES HAS NOT ENDED YET.

Soriano said:

I dare say, this verse does not apply to the Catholic Church for the simple reason that they do not understand the verse! The incense mentioned in the prophecy is not the literal incense that Catholic priests burn in their altars! Notice what is said in this verse.

REVELATION 5:8 (RSV)
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints;”

How can literal incense reach God’s throne when it cannot even penetrate into the atmosphere? They in the Catholic Church do not know the meaning of the verse they are appropriating for themselves. It is a misappropriation! The sacrifice that Christians should always offer is not the Lord Jesus Christ for when He offered Himself in Calvary He made an offering “once for all and once forever.” The Bible says so.”

MY RESPONSE:

SORIANO thinks that The Catholic Church could NOT BE Malachi 1:11 fulfilment SIMPLY BECAUSE we don’t understand the verse. That is just silly argument. Catholics understand that smoke could NOT possibly physically reach the highest heaven, yet God does not live in the physical heaven that we can see with our telescopes.

We understand the symbolism of INCENSE as stated in Revelation 5:8, yet this does not take away the very use of literal INCENSE to symbolise and go along with our prayers.

Please read:

Revelation 8:3-4 NRSV
[3] Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of INCENSE to offer WITH the PRAYERS of all the saints on the golden altar that is before the throne. [4] And the smoke of the INCENSE, WITH the PRAYERS of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel.”

“INCENSE WITH THE PRAYERS”

Not “INCENSE which are the prayers”

Soriano said:

Mind you, the body of Christ which a believer must receive is not His literal flesh!

My RESPONSE:

Let’s FIND OUT!

Soriano said:

JOHN 6:50

Paul revealed a mystery that flesh and blood will not enter into the kingdom of heaven; that is something corruptible will not inherit that which is incorruptible!

I CORINTHIANS 15:50-51
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,”

My RESPONSE:

Soriano TRIES TO CONFUSE HIS READERS and thinks that wherever he sees the same word then IT WOULD MEAN THE SAME THING. The word “flesh” should be understood in its CONTEXT.
John 6:50 and 1Corinthians 15:50-51 is NOT AT ALL RELATED to John 6:50!

Soriano said:

“Continuing with His discourse in Chapter 6 of John, we can understand that He speaks not of material flesh but of spiritual.”

My RESPONSE:

Let’s EXPOSE your errors and misunderstanding!

Let’s use THE SAME TEXT he quoted:

JOHN 6:50-63
50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever: and THE BREAD that I WILL GIVE is my FLESH, which I will give for the life of the world.”

MY COMMENT:

In here Jesus made it VERY CLEAR that he is “the BREAD of life” and THE BREAD that he “WILL GIVE IS HIS FLESH” note that this is a promise and he fulfilled his promise ON THE DAY he was had his Passover meal.

Jesus said:

Luke 22:19-20 NRSV
[19] Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “THIS IS MY BODY, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” [20] And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in MY BLOOD.”

Christ kept his PROMISED and gave us his body and blood to DRINK!

Let’s move on to the next verse:

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? “

My comment:

The Jews were scandalised as they understood Jesus very words yet could NOT accept it. They asked,” How can this man give his flesh to eat?” They lack trust and belief in Christ’s words. Moreover they were forbidden to drink blood as stated in Leviticus 17.

Leviticus 17:11 NASB
[11] For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.'”

Why was it forbidden?

“LIFE OF THE FLESH IS IN THE BLOOD”

For THIS VERY SAME REASON, Jesus is GIVING US HIS OWN BLOOD, because-

“Life is in the BLOOD”

Next verse confirmed this:

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and DRINK his BLOOD ye have no LIFE in you.”

My comment:

Jesus is giving us his FLESH AND BLOOD to eat and drink THAT WE MAY share the divine life! The same blood that was shed for the atonement of our sins!

Next verses

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my FLESH is MEAT INDEED, and my BLOOD is DRINK INDEED.”

My comment:

Jesus MADE IT PLAIN that his FLESH is meat for us to eat and his BLOOD is indeed DRINK! Soriano thinks otherwise or the exact opposite!

Jesus said:

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth ME even he shall live by me.
58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live forever.
59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is a hard saying; who can hear it?”

My COMMENT:

Jesus reiterated THE SAME MESSAGE, that he is giving his FLESH and BLOOD to eat. Jesus choose of words even became more intense and graphic, from phagus to trogo, that is from “eat” to “gnaw”. That means that one has to LITERALLY use ones teeth just as when one is eating meat.

Moreover, the very disciples of Jesus complained “THIS IS HARD SAYING; who can hear it”. Jesus as a good teacher if someone misunderstood him he would explain well to them. He stood his ground to let them know WHAT HE ACTUALLY telling them. Jesus could have had easily told them that they misunderstood what he said and all he was saying is a “metaphor” or pure symbolic, spiritual and not actually giving his literal flesh.

The next verse further confirmed the Catholic position:

Jesus said:

61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? “

My comment:

Again, if Jesus being a good teacher and misunderstood he would have had corrected them. On the contrary, Christ asked them two important questions in connection with his teaching he just raised. His very disciples understood Jesus CLEAR TEACHINGS BUT COULD NOT BELIEVE it! To them it was OFFENSIVE! He then went on to ASKED,” WHAT IF YOU WILL SEE THE SON OF MAN ASCEND UP where he was before?”

Yes, just as Jesus LITERALLY ascended to heaven. It is equally true then that the BODY AND BLOOD that he is giving us is also LITERAL food and drink that we must receive so we will have eternal life!

Jesus said:

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Soriano’s argument:

The literal flesh profiteth nothing from the spiritual flesh He was talking about. Note verse 63; Thus, everything He said in Chapter 6:50-63 was spiritual.”

My REPLY:

Soriano IS CONFUSING the two terms; “spirit” and “spiritual” he thinks that they are the SAME WORDS and has the same exact meaning. “Spiritual” does not always mean devoid of LITERALLY PHYSICAL. The Bible is spiritual book, the apostles were spiritual men, yet the Bible is NOT A SPIRIT nor the apostles were devoid of physical attributes.

What did Jesus meant when he said “the flesh profits nothing”? Christ just said that WE NEED TO EAT HIS FLESH AND DRINK HIS BLOOD that we may have life, does it mean that Jesus flesh “profits NOTHING”? Of course NOT!

The phrase “the flesh” is NOT THE SAME AS “my flesh”.

Here is what St. Paul said about “THE FLESH”:

Romans 8:5-6 NASB
[5] For those who are according to THE FLESH set their MINDS on the things of THE FLESH, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. [6] For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,”

Jesus then is saying that “the flesh” are referred those who set their minds to the things of THE FLESH. Those who conform to worldly things will NOT PROFIT ETERNAL LIFE. THE Eucharist is spiritual flesh and drink because it is the BODY and BLOOD of Christ!

Soriano’s argument:

HEBREWS 10:12
“But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right hand of God;”

“And what is that sacrifice that Christians should offer to God? Take note that it is not something outside of the one doing the sacrifice.

HEBREWS 13:15
By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Prayers and praises are the sacrifice that we should offer again and again to God, “that is the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name,” and not the mass of the misled Catholics. It jives with the prophecy in Malachi that says, “My name shall be great among the Gentiles.”

My RESPONSE:

Soriano used the above text OUT OF CONTEXT!
According to Soriano THE SACRIFICE THAT SHOULD BE OFFERED TO GOD is something that is not outside the ONE doing the sacrifice. He quoted Hebrews 13:15 to support his claim YET is it the SAME SACRIFICE that mentioned in Malachi 1:11?

Let’s read up to verse 15-16:

Hebrews 13:15-16 NRSV
[15] Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name. [16] Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”

Let’s analyse;

The inspired writer ask us to offer SACRIFICE of praise, WHAT kind of sacrifices that he mentioned? In verse 16 he said,” Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have such sacrifices are pleasing to God”.

Those good acts and sharing what you have IS EXACTLY THE SACRIFICES that we should CONTINUOUSLY do THROUGH and with our Lord Jesus Christ. This is WHY ITS CALLED “fruit of the lips” as it’s NOT MERE words BUT FRUITS.

Saint James says the same thing in different words:

James 2:14-15 NRSV
[14] What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? [15] If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food,”

Moreover, although the apostles themselves could not fully understand what Jesus said about his flesh and blood, they TRUSTED and believed HIM.

John 6:64-68 NRSV
[64] But among you there are some who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the first who were the ones that did not believe, and who was the one that would betray him. [65] And he said, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted by the Father.” [66] Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. [67] So Jesus asked the twelve, “Do you also wish to go away?” [68] Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life.

The SACRIFICE OFFERING that Jesus IS THE PURE OFFERING in Malachi 1:11.

It’s offered from EAST to the WEST
ITS OFFERED EVERYWHERE
ITS offered with INCENSE
ITS THE ONLY OFFERING that is “PURE” that qualifies.

Soriano said:

Praying and praising His name is symbolic of the incense which is a pure sacrifice that will reach the throne of the Almighty!

My RESPONSE:

When CAN MERE PRAYER AND PRAISING GOD qualifies to be “A PURE SACRIFICE”? Of course not! It’s Jesus!

Here is what the Bible says:

Hebrews 9:14 NRSV
[14] how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit OFFERED HIMSELF WITHOUT BLEMISH to God, purify our conscience from dead works to worship the living God!”

Jesus OFFERED HIMSELF and he is the “PURE SACRIFICE” or OFFERING without BLEMISH.

Soriano said:

“It is not something material, for then, not everyone would have access to it. It is not something readily found in those who prefer to delude themselves by way of ascribing the spiritual presence of the Christ’s blood and body to bread and wine – which they offer again and again.”

My RESPONSE:

The above statement does not make sense or vague. One thing is CLEAR however is the very words of Christ.

He said, ” THIS IS MY BODY” and he COMMANDED HIS APOSTLES to do it again and again, WHICH IS OF COURSE what they did and passed on to the early christians.

Soriano said:

“And mind you, the greatness of His name will be known from the east to the west, not the other way around!

The Catholic Church started its mission of misleading people from the west! Beginning with their rituals, they really do mislead a lot.”

My RESPONSE:

Soriano is really good at playing words to suite his self-serving interpretation of Scriptures. Nowhere in the entire Bible you can find that salvation start in the Philippines or east. It STARTED IN JERUSALEM! That is where Catholic Church started in AD 33!

It started in Jerusalem and FROM there it spread to Rome and all over the World.

Matthew 28:[19] “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,”

Acts 1:8 NRSV
[8] But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Acts 23:11 NRSV
[11] That night the Lord stood near him and said, “Keep up your courage! For just as you have testified for me in Jerusalem, so you must bear witness also in Rome.”

The Roman Empire was vast and includes about 30 modern countries of today. To remind Soriano these countries most of them converted to Christianity were pagans or GENTILES. The missionaries from Spain reached the Philippines in 1521 fulfilling the prophecy in Malachi 1:11!

“Even so, from where the sun rises to where it sets my name will be great among the Gentiles. Incense will be brought to me everywhere, along with pure offerings, because my name will be great among the Gentiles,” says the LORD of the Heavenly Armies.”